The State Universities Retirement System (SURS) is one of the five state-funded retirement plans and provides retirement, survivor, death and disability benefits on behalf of more than 230,000 members from 61 employers in Illinois, including state universities, community colleges and state agencies. SURS administers benefits and oversees a large investment program with assets approximating $20.7 billion.
The accountant position reports directly to the chief financial officer. This full-time position is in Champaign, Illinois.
The primary purpose of this position is to provide accounting and financial reporting support to the finance and investment program with a focus on the periodic reporting of investment balances and activity to state agencies and SURS management to meet their specific financial reporting needs.
The accountant position will play a key role in a team that is responsible for the application of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) to investment portfolio transactions, reporting, and disclosures. The accountant will also be responsible for maintaining and, if needed, creating controls to ensure consistency in investment accounting and reporting, specifically relating to data and reports from and to investment managers, investment consultants, the investment custodian, pension industry organizations, state agencies, and the SURS Board of Trustees.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance from an accredited college or university
- A minimum of seven years of experience in accounting or finance
- Certified public accountant designation a plus
- Excellent verbal, analytical, organizational and written skills
Skills, Abilities, Knowledge:
- Ability to research complex accounting and financial reporting matters
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills and comfort with analyzing and manipulating large data sets
- Ability to learn new computer systems quickly
- Experience working with internal and external auditors
- Self-driven with the ability to work independently as needed
- Ability to work in a continuously changing environment with numerous filing deadlines
- Knowledge of investment accounting and of GASB relevant to investments and financial reporting
Apply for this Position
SURS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.