- Supports SURS general counsel and works in conjunction with existing associate general counsel in the preparation of legal opinions by providing research support, analysis, interpretation and clarification of the Illinois Pension Code and other statutes as they relate to the administration of the System.
- Assists general counsel and associate general counsel with negotiating, drafting and finalizing all types of procurement agreements.
- Assists general counsel and associate general counsel in keeping staff fully informed of the current requirements of various state and federal statutes, regulations, etc., that govern and impact administrative operations at SURS.
- Assists with legal issues relating to subpoenas, small estate affidavits, fraud matters and Qualified Illinois Domestic Relations Orders (QILDROs).
- Represents SURS staff in administrative appeals filed with the SURS Claims Panel and/or filed with the SURS Executive Committee.
- Completes additional job duties relating to the overall operations of the public pension fund as assigned and supports the SURS Legal Department on various legal issues.
- Licensed to practice law in Illinois.
- Minimum of 8-10 years of legal experience relevant to the main duties described above.
- Excellent writing and analytical skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of contacts, including the SURS Board of Trustees, SURS members, state legislators, investment managers, SURS staff members, external legal counsel and other related business constituents and stakeholders.
- Insurance benefits, including medical, vision and dental
- Participation in SURS retirement plan
- Paid vacation, sick leave and 11 paid holidays
- Business casual attire
Apply for this Position
Applicants should submit a completed SURS application, current resume, a dated cover letter, and a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. This position is subject to a background check as terms of hire.
SURS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.