College Insurance Program
To be eligible to participate in the College Insurance Program (CIP), members:
- Must be receiving a monthly benefit from SURS, and
- Must have been a full-time employee eligible for group health benefits while employed at an Illinois community college district.
The College Insurance Program includes health, vision, dental, and prescription insurance.
The Department of Central Management Services (CMS) determines the cost of this insurance. SURS has no information regarding the future costs for CIP insurance.
Value of Benefit
CMS estimates the value of a retiree’s CIP coverage over their lifetime is approximately $130,000 (this assumes retirement at age 65 and one dependent). If you meet eligibility requirements and do not take a lifetime monthly benefit, you will give up the opportunity to participate in this insurance program.
The College Insurance Program (CIP) shares the cost of health coverage with you. While CIP covers the majority of the cost, you must make monthly contributions based upon the health plan you select.
CIP TRAIL MAPD Medical Contributions
Members in the College Insurance Program (CIP) are responsible for a monthly contribution for Total Retiree Advantage (TRAIL) Medicare Advantage Prescription Drug (MAPD) health coverage that includes prescription drug, dental and vision benefits.
Forms & Guides
- College Insurance Program Information Packet – This version is for Traditional and Portable Members Only
- College Insurance Program Information Packet – This version is Retirement Savings Plan Members Only
- FY 2023 Benefits Choice handbook
- CIP Benefits Handbook