SURS has three plans: the Traditional Pension Plan, Portable Pension Plan and Retirement Savings Plan (RSP). We have also introduced a new Deferred Compensation Plan (DCP).
Traditional Pension Plan
The SURS Traditional Pension Plan is the historical SURS Defined Benefit retirement plan. It provides lifetime retirement benefits and a survivor benefit at no additional cost. However, the separation refund feature is not as generous as the Portable Pension Plan. The Traditional Pension Plan is also the default plan assigned to members who fail to choose a plan within six months of certification.
Portable Pension Plan
The SURS Portable Pension Plan is a Defined Benefit retirement plan that has much in common with the Traditional Pension Plan. However, it provides a more generous separation refund when participants leave the system. The provisions for survivor benefits require a reduction to the retirement and death benefits.
Retirement Savings Plan
The SURS Retirement Savings Plan (RSP) is a defined contribution plan. You and the state of Illinois make contributions to your RSP account on a regular basis. With the RSP, you have choices to match your retirement goals and investment style.
SURS Deferred Compensation Plan
This new voluntary plan, called the SURS Deferred Compensation Plan (DCP), will provide members an avenue to save more and generate additional income in retirement. Most active SURS members employed by a state university, community college or other government entity will be able to participate.
If you do not know your plan type. Follow these instructions to find out which plan you are in.
- Click on the Member Website link in the upper right-hand corner of this website.
- Log in to the SURS member website.
- If you do not know your member login information you must go through the registration process
- Once logged into the member website you will be able to find your plan type on the Member Home Page
- Look under the heading Member Information in the middle of the page
- The subheading Plan Election will tell you what plan you are in
If you have any problems logging in or identifying your plan type. Please call SURS at 800-ASK-SURS (800-275-7877) or 217-378-8800.