Moving Out of State

If you currently have health insurance under an HMO, this is information you need to know.

Most HMOs do not cover their members outside of the coverage area for anything less than life threatening or emergency situations. Even in situations such as this, the benefits may be limited. We highly recommend contacting your HMO to find out exactly what they will cover while you are outside of their coverage area.

If you would like to change your insurance coverage, you need to notify the State Universities Retirement System in writing of your new  address change. If you are enrolled in the College Insurance Plan, this request must be received within 30 days of your move. If you are enrolled in the State of Illinois Group Insurance Plan, this request must be received within 60 days of your move. Out of state residents should be aware that the only comprehensive coverage available to them is the Indemnity Plan. If you elect to change to this plan, you may re-enroll with your HMO carrier if you move back into the HMO coverage area. You would then need to notify SURS according to the timeline listed above in order to
implement that change.

Your address change will be updated to your personal MyBenefits website upon receipt. You will receive notification about the update and will then have the ability to access the MyBenefits to make your insurance carrier election. MyBenefits is a customized website just for you, and you will be required to register on the website using information pertinent to you for self-authentication. Once registered, you will be provided your CMS-issued Employee ID Number (EIN), which you will need whenever you log in to this site. You may also contact the MyBenefits Services Center to make your changes over the phone Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. CST toll free at 1-844-251-1777 or TTY toll free at 1-844-251-1778.

For additional information on coverage outside of your HMO service area, or how long your HMO allows for an out of area residence to be listed, please contact your HMO carrier. For information on the Quality Care Health Plan, you may contact the plan administrator, Aetna, at 855-339-9731. Should you have any questions regarding this process, please contact a SURS Benefits Counselor at 1-800-275-7877 or 217-378-8800 in the Champaign/Urbana area.

*Reminder: This is a change in status. The effective date of the change will be the date of the move or the date the carrier change request made on MyBenefits. Carrier changes cannot be made retroactively.